Monday, September 1, 2008

Fancy Cakes by Leslie...Cupcakes too!

Fancy Cakes by Leslie is coming to Bethesda! Some of you may remember her Bushel of Crabs grooms cake that won the "Today Show Throws A Wedding Cake" contest back in 2005:



A little too much fondant for my taste...but hey, it looks great! Leslie currently bakes out of a kitchen in the Kentlands Market Square in Gaithersburg, Maryland, but is moving to Bethesda Row, on Elm Street, later this month.
So, when I was leaving Redwood, the relatively new restaurant in the relatively new Bethesda Lane, I saw the shoppe is under construction; the sign out front says "Fancy Cakes by Leslie...Cupcakes Too!" The next day when I was having lunch with a girlfriend who works at Creative Parties on Woodmont Avenue, I asked what she knew about Fancy Cakes. She told me they just had Leslie cater the cupcakes for one of their open houses, and that she still has some left in their fridge. She was nice enough to give me one on the walk back to the office, and here's what I thought:


It was a vanilla cupcake with raspberry frosting. The vanilla cake was very sweet, buttery, and crumbly. The frosting in my opinion tasted a little crisco-ish...kind of oily. At the same time, it was light...melting in your mouth, but didn't really have much of a berry flavor to it. I could imagine this cupcake being much better with a chocolate frosting. Overall, while I thought the cake was good on it's own, the combination of frosting and cake was a little too sweet for my tastebuds. I'm still really interested however to try more of her custom flavors (aside from the basic chocolates and vanillas). Just for kicks, I bit off a little piece of the fondant adornment on top...it wasn't awful, but it wasn't good either. I couldn't fathom eating an entire cake covered in that stuff!

Stay tuned for more news on the opening!

No comments: