Tuesday, October 21, 2008

New Lavender Moon Flavors

If you were in town this past weekend hopefully you got outside and took advantage of the gorgeous fall weather. I myself headed down to one of my favorite spots, Alexandria, to enjoy the day by the water. And what would a beautiful autumn day be without some tasty fall flavored cupcakes?!?


I walked over to Lavender Moon Cupcakery and picked up a few flavors I've yet to try. My selection included Devil's Food Peanut Butter, Caramel Apple, Smores, and Pumpkin & Fennel.
The Devils Food Peanut Butter tastes like a buckeye. It's a Chocolate cake with a strong peanut butter frosting, but with a mousse like consistency, covered in ganache. To be honest the only thing you can really taste here is the peanut butter with a hint of chocolate. If you love peanut butter you will definitely be a fan of this flavor.


Devil's Food Peanut Butter Cupcake

Switching it up to one of the fall flavors, Caramel Apple has chunks of real fresh apple mixed with cinnamon sugar. The frosting is very buttery and sugary topped off with a caramel drizzle, and the cake itself is very moist. This is the first apple flavor I've tried from anyone yet this fall and I would definitely have it again.
The Smores cupcake on the other hand is the only cupcake from Lavender Moon that I wouldn't bother with again. It didn't taste a thing like smores. There was an extremely thin hardly-there layer of graham cracker crumbs on the bottom of the cupcake which you couldn't taste at all. The chocolate cake was rather sticky, and the whole thing was finished off with a toasted marshmallow frosting. It was like biting into a piece of plain chocolate cake, and I didn't like it.
Last but certainly not least, the Pumpkin & Fennel was my favorite. The light fennel flavor was a nice touch to a light pumpkin taste. The cake was just the right amount of moist, and the sweet cream cheese frosting was the perfect finishing touch.
While I was there, one flavor that caught my eye was the Roasted Fig and Blood Orange. Sounds pretty adventurous, huh? The thing I like about Lavender Moon is that you can always find new and creative flavors like this!

No comments: