Monday, November 24, 2008

New Hello Cupcake Flavors

I was in Dupont on Friday afternoon, and of course I can’t make a trip there without dropping into Hello Cupcake! I picked up three new flavors I’ve yet to try: Pumpkin (not the Gluten Free I’ve raved about before, the regular one), Tiramisu, and Chocolate Chai.

I first dug into the Pumpkin. The cream cheese frosting was perfectly creamy and sweet, as always. While the top of the cupcake was a little hard, the center was moist and rich in spicy pumpkin flavor, specked with little pieces of nuts…walnuts maybe? I think the flavor is great, but honestly I prefer Hello’s gluten-free version over this one! It taste’s just as great, if not better, and has those coffee-cake like crumbles (minus the coffee flavor) on top. Delicious!

You don’t hear me say this very often about a Hello Cupcake cupcake, but I wasn’t crazy about the Tiramisu cupcake. The presentation was cute…dusted with cocoa and topped with a chocolate covered espresso bean. The frosting was a delicious mascarpone frosting which I enjoyed every bite of, but I think the espresso flavored cake was what was bothering me. It was a little on the dry side, and the espresso flavor just seemed a little dull. If you’re a fan of all things coffee-flavor, you may still like this, but it just didn’t do it for me.

Onto the last of the group – the Chocolate Chai Cupcake. Now I’m not a tea drinker so I don’t have too much experience with Chai, but I do know the drink is generally composed of various spices like cardamom, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, and pepper…so I was interested to see what the spicy chai buttercream would taste like. It had a little spicy kick to it, not overpowering by any means, but I just wasn’t impressed. Maybe I’m just not a fan of the chai flavor – so I’d like to hear from someone who drinks chai and see what they think of this cupcake. Aside from the buttercream, the cake was Hello’s standard chocolate cake, which never disappoints.

Have you tried the Tiramisu and Chai? Let us know what you think!

1 comment:

Neena said...

I agree with your assessment of the tiramisu flavor - the cake was dry and very disappointing. I thought the chai one was better, but also not one of my favorites, and I make and regularly drink chai. My general feeling is that using chai as a flavor is a bad idea. It is better enjoyed in its natural form - i.e., as tea.