Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Heidelberg Cupcakes


Heidelberg Pastry Shoppe is a charming little bakery located in Arlington, Virginia. They've got everything you could ever want...cheesecakes, cookies, strudels, brownies, chocolates, danishes, pies, cakes, and most importantly, cupcakes the size of your head. Okay, that might be a slight exaggeration, but they are really really big!
I picked up a Carrot Cake (of course), Red Velvet (I'm on a mission to try everyone's Red Velvet), and a Chocolate Cupcake with Chocolate Frosting and a Chocolate Truffle filling. Before I give you my reviews, I've got to mention that outside of the shoppe they had all the Heidelberg guys grilling up different types of Wursts for sandwiches, along with home made soft pretzels. There was a very long line, so it must have been good.



Okay back to the cupcakes. We'll start with the Carrot Cake. Hello Cupcake's Carrot Cake still reigns King, but this Carrot Cake was pretty good. I don't like raisin's so I wish they weren't baked in, but it was moist and flavorful with lots of spices. The cream cheese icing was my only complaint...it was too thick and almost tasted a little sour. Most icings should change consistency when they hit your taste buds, but this one didnt...it stayed a thick blob. Unfortunately, they used the same cream cheese icing on the Red Velvet. I just cut it off the top and tried the cake part, and wow, it was REALLY good. Moist, crumbly, rich and velvety...I loved it. Quite possibly my favorite Red Velvet so far. If I were to order any of these in the future though, I would probably ask them to hold the icing and just put on some of my own homemade cream cheese icing...
Last up, the Chocolate Truffle. If you're a chocolate lover, you will love this cupcake. VERY rich, and the chocolate truffle in the middle is a great addition. All of the cupcakes I tried were Jumbo size, but they do have regular size chocolate and vanilla cupcakes. Some of the other Jumbo flavors include Yellow Cake with a Caramel topping and Chocolate Cake with a Raspberry frosting. There are some little bistro tables inside for you to sit down and enjoy whatever dessert you end up choosing. If you've never been to the Heidelberg, I highly recommend it!

No comments: